Which makes you a happier camper?

Which do you relate best with:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
talk about capitalism - did you hear about the 23 year old college student who created FaceBook is now on the list of The World's top 1000 richest people.

He remains CEO of FaceBook but sold it for $1.5 billion in declining U.S. dollars. Still nothing to scoff at. 23?

Could this happen as easily anywhere else on our beautiful planet? I think yes but not too many other places.

considering all the hubbub from regions short on water resources, this could be a valid business and no joke.

If a guy or gal owned a refridgerated tanker truck, they could haul snow out of one region and deliver it to another that needs it.
LOL

Pay for a refrigerated truck to haul frozen water that takes up 10 times as much space as liquid water? Sounds like a really profitable idea.

considering all the hubbub from regions short on water resources, this could be a valid business and no joke.

If a guy or gal owned a refridgerated tanker truck, they could haul snow out of one region and deliver it to another that needs it.
I doubt it, but they can pump oil from russia to the Uk. So I suppose the could build a pipeline and pump water. It doesn't take that much heat to raise the temperature of snow to melting point. After that it is just pumping water, and we can do that easily.

The reason why we don't do it is because the people who need the water pumped to them can't afford to pay for it. If they could someone would do it.

LOL

Pay for a refrigerated truck to haul frozen water that takes up 10 times as much space as liquid water? Sounds like a really profitable idea.
I thought it was only 10% bigger?

Seem to remember experiments at school, drop an ice cube in a glass and 10% sticks out above the water. As the ice is 10% bigger by volume than it would be if it was melted, the level of the water doesn't rise when the ice cube melts.

Thus proving when water freezes it expands by 10%.

WWWW | World Wide Water Web

Then what we need is the World Wide Water Web |WWWW. :cool:

We could set up reservoirs in areas that get tons of winter snow. We then raise the temp to liquify it and tie the reservoir by pipe into a larger pipe. Small communities would be webbed into the main pipes.

How hard could this be? I know here when it snows too much, after it is all pushed to the side of the roads, local trucks come in to haul it away. Usually it gets dumped somewhere like in a big field somewhere or next to the lake somewhere. I know this gets done the same way in other places.

Maybe I could apply to the federal government for a 1 Billion dollar grant to study this concept. Climb on board and I'll ask for another Billion for you to do the environmental impact study.

Last edited:
I thought it was only 10% bigger?

Seem to remember experiments at school, drop an ice cube in a glass and 10% sticks out above the water. As the ice is 10% bigger by volume than it would be if it was melted, the level of the water doesn't rise when the ice cube melts.

Thus proving when water freezes it expands by 10%.
I was talking about snow. Ten to one is the usual ratio given for snow. I remember doing experiments when I was a kid. We'd set open coffee cans outdoors during a snowstorm, wait for the snow to stop, measure the depth of the snow and then measure the depth of the water after it melted.

Snow to water ratios can vary quite a bit depending on how cold it is, how much snow you get (the deeper it is the more the base compresses), and how hard the wind is blowing.

As for shipping snow or pumping melted snow goes, it isn't something that people in Michigan would like. Much of the precipitation that they get comes from snow. If the annual snowfall is less than normal the water level in the lakes drops. This has been a problem for a few years now. It's only been in the last 2-3 years that the trend has changed for the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.