PDA

View Full Version : Scanning Multiple Photos Advice

arlens
01-22-2006, 04:47 PM
I recently inherited several large photo albums with more than 1500 photos
that I would like to scan to disk. I currently have an all-in-one HP 1200 printer/scanner/copier and it works fine with the HP software for scanning one photo at a time. But with over 1500 photos this would be very time-consuming.
What I would like to do is load up the flat-bed screen with as many photos as possible then have one scan pass where each photo scan is sent to individual files. Do any StatCounter members know of any scanner or software that
facilitates muliple photo scans? Thanks.

JWJ
01-22-2006, 06:54 PM
In a similar situation (but only a few dozen to do) I loaded my flat bed with 6 photo's and did one scan. Then I cropped the scanned image 6 times into 6 different files. It's not what you're looking for but it was a 6-fold improvement on doing it the one-at-a-time method.

webado
01-22-2006, 07:15 PM
Ouch! I feel your pain. About the only thing you can do is what John's advising, though cropping will also take time, but you can do that later.
I've only had to do this with the photos from one roll of 24 and cursed every moment. Right after that I bought myself a digital camera :lol:

Brisguy52
01-23-2006, 12:02 AM
irfanview www.irfanview.com (http://www.irfanview.com) might help.
You can do batch scanning and easily select, cut / paste. Still going to be tedious and time consuming with so many pics.

arlens
01-23-2006, 01:57 AM
If I scan just one photo at a time the whole process is very automated. The scanning software determines the edges of the photo, previews it for you, and then automatically scans the image to a generated file name. It would seem that if the boundaries of one photo can be determined then the boundaries of others photos could be determined also. This would be the ideal if all the photos could be scanned in one pass and each sent to an individual file. Barring this, I guess scanning a page of photos and then cutting and pasting would be more time efficient than scanning one at a time.

Digital cameras are nice for everyone now but there are mountains of photos still out there that need to be digitized if they are to be preserved.

webado
01-23-2006, 02:00 AM
You mighth want to buy one of these ;) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000C121R/104-0792062-1721501?v=glance&n=172282

jonra01
01-23-2006, 02:10 AM
If you have a budget that can be used for this there are plenty of services that will put these on photo cd for you. I've taken pictures to the kodak dealer here and had them put on cd. It won't be cheap, though. But look at how many hours of work you are facing.

arlens
01-24-2006, 02:05 AM
If you have a budget that can be used for this there are plenty of services that will put these on photo cd for you. I've taken pictures to the kodak dealer here and had them put on cd. It won't be cheap, though. But look at how many hours of work you are facing.

jonra, Many of the photos to be scanned are old and fragile so I'm reconciled to doing it myself. I'll do it in batches of 50 so it doesn't seem so intimidating.

Christina, thanks for the link for the scanner. I am looking at some of the newer
scanners on the market today.

Has anyone had any experience with Instant Photo Scanner software at
http://www.topshareware.com/Instant-Photo-Scanner-download-4547.htm ?
It is supposed to allow you to scan multiple photos in one pass and send each to an individual file.

webado
01-24-2006, 02:11 AM
There are many scanners out there, and many are cheaper and probably betetr image quality, but this type is specifically made to handle phots - and it's automatic it seems. There are probably newer one around too, this is just what came out first from Google.

jonra01
01-24-2006, 02:15 AM
That software looks like the very thing you were looking for when you started this thread. I'm going to have to check it out, because I have the same kind of need you do. I've got hundreds, more like thousands, of photos from my parents' estate. I'd really like to digitize these and put them on cds for future generations. Not that I'm all that sure people will be able to access today's cds with jpg images on them 20 years from now. Sort of like when people put their home movies on betamax thinking their grandkids could watch them.

buchey
08-02-2006, 04:35 PM
that program is exactly what I need also. the only problem is that it is no longer available for purchase from the company. I have the trial version, but thats only 10 more days before it goes bad. what i'm really in need of is a serial number or a way to bypass the trial... or freeze it at the 10 days i have left. my cracking skills are minimal, and i cant find any cracks out there on the web. if anyone knows how to get this program to full use, or knows of any other program with similar features, PLEASE let me know! thanks a lot!
-Brian

Animation
08-02-2006, 05:56 PM
I don't use a scanner. I just take a photo of a photo using my digital camera and upload it to my PC. If many photos I set up camera on a tripod and click, click, click away.

JWJ
08-02-2006, 05:58 PM
what i'm really in need of is a serial number or a way to bypass the trial... or freeze it at the 10 days i have left. my cracking skills are minimal, and i cant find any cracks out there on the web.

Errr ... I want to break into a house ... has anybody got a gemmy I can borrow.

Oh, here you are .... use mine ... and please tell everyone it was me that loaned it to you.

:lol:

buchey
08-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Errr ... I want to break into a house ... has anybody got a gemmy I can borrow.

Oh, here you are .... use mine ... and please tell everyone it was me that loaned it to you.

:lol:
you say this as if i'm a horrible person for wanting to crack a program. as i said before.... you cant even buy it if you tried anymore. the manufacturer took it off their purchasing options.

webado
08-03-2006, 02:43 PM
Use the usual method: uninstall from Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs adn reinstall from the downloaded file. Usually that's all it takes. You could also do a registry cleanup after uninstalling.

Or in fact try to actually purchase it from the package prompt.

I'm sure though this is no miracle product, and hardly different from whatever comes with the scanner hardware.

The bigger problem with scanners is the automation of the feeding of documents. If you purchase a photo scanner with a feed mechanism it will come with all that probably.

boomer1501
02-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Hi,I have tried Data Becker Instant Photo Scanner software and it does great job. Problem is,only trial version is still around and it leaves undefinable footprints aroun so it will not work after trial period and doing a re-install after register cleaning doesn't. Any suggestions on findind footprints?