StatCounter User Forum  
StatCounter Free web tracker and counter

Go Back   StatCounter User Forum > StatCounter.com > Help

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 12:30 AM

Default What does "referring url" mean exactly?

Does it mean that there was a link on that site that took the person to my site, or is that just the page that a person happened to be on before they hopped to my site (like if they perhaps used blogger's "next blog" button)?
Old 05-29-2006, 03:50 AM

It's the page they were on before they came to your site by following a link from the page where they were to yours.

Indeed, in a Blogger blog the next link randomly points to other blogs. Since that next blog link is available on all blogs, you can receive visits coming from any other blog, randomly.

Please do not PM me for support. The forum is here for that.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:25 PM

Thank you!
Old 05-29-2006, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisooc
It's the page they were on before they came to your site by following a link from the page where they were to yours.

Indeed, in a Blogger blog the next link randomly points to other blogs. Since that next blog link is available on all blogs, you can receive visits coming from any other blog, randomly.
I understand your words, I'm not sure I understand your thought.

If the visitor is on Blog A, where there is a link to "my site", then they "randomly" wander over to Blog Z, the link to "my site" is not there; they would have to go back to Blog A in order to follow the link to "my site"... wouldn't they?
Old 05-29-2006, 01:01 PM

The link Next Blog on Blog A points to another blog. Sometimes this could be your blog (Blogger generates these links randomly), or any of thousands of blogs. If the visitor to Blog A clicks on the Next Blog liknk and it happens to be your blog, then you get as a referral the Blog A URL.

If you go visit Blog A you very likley will not have a link to your blog in Next blog because that link is generated randomly and it will point to Blog X at that moment. Refresh the page on Blog A and that link will the point to Blog B, and son on. At one point it will be a link to your blog. But with thousands of blogs all linked reandomly like that it's like chasing a moving target.

Please do not PM me for support. The forum is here for that.
Closed Thread